Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Melbourne


I just arrived back to the Gold Coast this evening, to my parent's place. The past few days I spent in and around Melbourne - Australia's second largest city. I'd never been to Melbourne before, news of which usually causes non-Australians to laugh at the fact that I'm Australian but have never been to Melbourne. Well, now I have.

And my verdict is: it's most pleasant! I stayed with a friend, who happened to be hosting 4 other friends over the same weekend. Somehow this worked well, most of my time was spent eating, the rest of my time was spent in transit between eating venues. Melbourne is well reputed for its cafe culture, and it didn't disappoint. Coffee was Italian and excellent, everywhere. Food was fancy, cafes were plenty and chic.



While in Melbourne I also made a trip to inspect the lonely little beach at St Kilda. I strolled the city at night. I also strolled through delightful back-streets in South Yarra, near my friend's place. My night hours, once dinner with friends was finished, were spent at home on the computer watching episode after episode of Heroes.




It's nice, being on holiday, in some new place, alone, at liberty to roam the streets, following any direction on a whim. Finding random things, lost in thought. I lose myself in thought too much these days.

No comments: